Monday, May 12, 2008

Making History - My Ride On The City Bus!

I live in Southern California where one of the major modes of transportation is the city bus. I have lived here for over 20 years and have finally had the priviledge of riding on the city bus. I'm glad to report that it was all voluntarily for me, I didn't have to ride on it, I wanted too. I was recently having a conversation with my daughter about being spoiled and grateful. It was then that she reminded me that she should be pampered by me cause she feels that I was a pampered, spoiled rotten kid as a child. She suggested to me that I have never HAD to use public transportation as a means of travel along with a few other examples as to her reason of why she felt that I was spoiled. I don't know how she has come to this conclusion but it did spark an excitement in me to take a ride using city transportation.

So on Sunday evening, after the Laker's second loss of the 2008 playoffs, I walked out of my home and headed for the nearest bus stop. It was interesting, cause I did not even have no idea of how much the fare was to ride the bus. I questioned certain people there at the bus stop who patiently waited for the bus to come. It was an interesting scene. A couple was there waiting for the bus, there was another young man there listening to his IPOD waiting for the bus, there was a senior woman there with about 4 bags (which appeared to be some groceries) waiting for the bus and there was a young lady all by herself there waiting for the bus. I was excited as I too stood there waiting for the bus. I had no idea where I was going on the bus, I just wanted to take a ride and pray that I will know how to get back home.

Finally, the bus came. My adrenaline was at an all-time high. I got in line and was the last one to enter. I paid the fare and quickly found a seat. Once on the bus, I was amazed that it actually had TV's on there to watch while riding. There were advertisements on the walls and ceiling of the bus. There were people talking, sitting, reading, singing and even sleeping while riding. What a sight to see! I actually rode the bus about 5 miles before I thought to get off and take the same line back in the direction of my home. I got on my connecting bus and made my way back home. The ride took about 1 hour and it was a great experience! I really appreciated the experience. It reminded me of how blessed I am to not have to do this on a regular basis. I have had a car since the age of 14 which would suggest that I'm very blessed in this regard. Yes, I did say 14, my mother actually purchased me a car two years prior to me being eligible to recieve a California Drivers License. Since that time, I have always been fortunate to have at least two cars. What a mighty God we serve. When I consider that some use this as means of transportation for everything that they do, I am blessed! Not only with the means of having a car but also with the ability of being able to efficiently and properly operate a motor vehicle. I am appreciative for this experience. I can now say to my daughter that I have experienced using public transportation. Be Blessed!!!!!!!!!!